Monday, July 11, 2011

Second Place - 64 days left

I believe one of my favorite movies of all time is Top Gun.  Throughout the movie the main character, Maverick, copes with overcoming adversity in order to succeed and be the best fighter pilot in his Top Gun class.  In one of the most memorable lines of the movie another pilot, call sign "Ice Man", boldly reminds Maverick that "there are no points for second place".

I thought about coming in second place today at crossfit.  Only instead of coming in second place, I am very lucky if I am not the one coming in last place as was the case today.  And while I remember that I am somewhat the "underdog" when it comes to competing for number of reps in a set time or completing a circuit for time with my fellow crossfitters, it can still be discouraging at times to be the one coming in last most every time.

Then I remembered the good news.  While there are no points for second place in some arenas, when it comes to working out and living a healthy lifestyle my points count.  Every decision I make of each day matters.  Of course, I would LOVE to be perfect and be the best at everything I do.  And the competitive part of me will never stop striving for that.  Yet when it comes to my overall health, deciding to get up this morning at six when I really didn't feel like it matters.  Going back again tonight to kick boxing to stay with my commitment toward loosing weight is important.  Choosing to eat a salad instead of four slices of pizza like I used to makes a difference.  I don't have to be perfect to succeed.  All I have to do is make each decision throughout my day the very best that I can.

Perhaps you have heard of the Fly Lady.  She is a great teacher of household management for homemakers like myself.  The Fly Lady takes this same approach when taking on the sometime overwhelming chore of cleaning a house.  Her key point is that even if you don't clean everything perfectly or have everything in its perfect place, any task that you do complete is a blessing to your family and makes the overall atmosphere of the household better.

How liberating it is to approach good health in the same matter.  The overwhelming task, in my case, of working to lose 150 lbs doesn't have to be done perfectly.  Yet everything I do complete along the way is a blessing not only to myself, but to my family.  Hard work and good choices will help me to arrive faster.  However, even if  it takes me a while to make my goal,  the points I am getting along the way do count.  Thank you Lord for giving me points even when I am in second place!!

Jude 1:2 (The Message) - Relax, everything's going to be all right; rest, everything's coming together; open your hearts, love is on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment