Monday, July 18, 2011

Doldrums No More - 57 days left

It is official.  I am becoming addicted to exercise.  I realize that I have had my fair share of low days lately.  However, once I finally get myself to my crossfit or kickboxing class and complete it, there is a LITTLE bit of euphoria there.  Not boat loads of euphoria, but enough to notice a change in how I feel overall.  And this has been true of every workout until today.

I must tell you that this morning 6 a.m. crossfit workout was a very slow start for me.  I felt like I wasn't fully awake and that every movement I did was in slow motion.  Even the counter on the rowing machine showed me about 20 to 30 seconds behind my pace from last Thursday.  A few times I even wondered if what I was doing was even effective.  I don't remember feeling like that since I started crossfit.  Perhaps it was that I ate something different or didn't acquire enough sleep last night.  Either way, something was way off.

Due to my rather lethargic workout this morning, I considered throwing in the towel for tonight's kickboxing class.  Did I mention that it was also over 100 degrees today in Minneapolis, which is odd for us even in the summer?  Yet I decided that I have committed myself to the two extra kickboxing classes per week and I needed to hang in there even if I was slow going and it was as hot as south Georgia.

This turned out to be the best decision of my day.  I love going to this class so much because it is a fresh approach to working out and challenging.  Like crossfit, it is different every time, so mundane and boring are never thoughts that crosses my mind.  After about 200 kicks, countless punches, and many, many push-ups, guess what came back around to finish off the workout?  Sit-ups.  This time based on how we were partnered, I couldn't use my bungee cord to help me lift as I learned to do last week.  It was ALL me.  I actually think that I did pretty good.  It was only for a minute, which means I probably did 20 at best.  I didn't have the full range of motion either that I had on Saturday.  However, it was still great improvement from where I have been.  And that made me feel great!

This week I am focusing on pulling my attitude out of the doldrums.  I have been parked there for about a week now and I think it is time to shift gears.  Unfortunately, that is easier said than done.  Yet being aware of the problem is suppose to be the first step to recovery.  Remind me to come back and read this on Wednesday if I have another terrible weigh in.  So with a very sore body, tired body this evening, I will say goodnight for now and a better attitude on the horizon.

2 Peter 1:5-7 (New American Standard Bible) Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment