Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fifty - 52 days left

As the words "epic" and "surreal" are probably the most overused words among Americans these days, "this was the hardest workout ever" is the most overused statement in my blog.  However, today people, it REALLY was the HARDEST WORKOUT EVER!!!!  What was the awful WOD (workout of the day) I am referring to?

  • 400 meters on rowing machine
  • 50 Burpees
  • 50 Push Press
  • 50 Pull-ups
  • 50 Wall Balls
  • 50 Mountain Climbers
  • 50 Sit-ups
  • 50 Ball Slams
  • 400 meters on rowing machine
And I am not kidding when I say, I might have left something out because the list was so very long.  I have never done 50 of any of these in a row and the only thing that was old hat to me was the 400 meters on the rowing machine.  Fortunately, my partner today was a 17 year old boy, so we didn't finish last and made it through in about 41 minutes.


Since I began crossfit almost seven weeks ago, NEVER have I contemplated totally quitting a workout.  Especially, not quitting the workout on the second round of the WOD.  Yet today as I embarked on the 50 burpees listed on the whiteboard, I literally felt myself start to choke up because I felt I was never going to get this workout done.  My partner finished his 50 burpees in about two minutes.  It took me more along the lines of about six to seven minutes to complete mine.  While my partner did his sets, I would rest and when I did my sets he would rest, alternating each round.  This is a nice theory if partners are evenly matched.  However, on most every round my partner was done in about half the time I was, which means a lot of rest for him and little rest for me.  I don't think I got my breathing back to its normal rate until about four hours after the workout was over.

However, I did it.  I didn't give up.  I didn't let my mind or my emotions get the best of me.  I just sucked it up, kept my big girl britches on and did it.  And now that I have done it, I am quite confident that I can do most any other WOD that is thrown my way.  I also got close to that 2 minute marker again on the rowing machine with the last round time being 2:03, tying my best time so far.  I just know that I am going to break that 2 minute mark next week!

So tomorrow, more than any other Sunday that has come before, I will enjoy my day of rest.  No workouts for me.  Just rest.  Then my last full week of workouts begins before I am off to GA for a little over a week.  I  certainly won't be the skinniest girl on the plane when I go, but I might very well be the strongest!  Believe me, if I can do it friends, you can too!!!

Philippians 4:13 (The Message) - Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment