Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Bigger Challenge - 47 days left

I still have not been feeling the best today.  However, I have done my best to get over it and do what I need to do including CrossFit.  Perhaps I should have shared my rather sad week with my instructor as I have with all of you because today, of all days, he decides I need more of a challenge during the WOD (workout of the day).

I can honestly say that today's WOD has been the easiest of the week.

  • 10 wall balls
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 7 rounds for time
At least, this is what I thought when I read the board before we got started.  When doing wall balls, I have consistently used a six pound medicine ball.  Last Saturday, I was a little more ambitious with it and used the eight pound medicine ball.  Today, not only did my instructor tell me to use the sixteen pound medicine ball when doing wall balls, but also to squat all the way down to the punching bag that was laying on it side.  Thus making my squat about six inches deeper than normal.  Did I mention that 10 x 7 = 70 wall balls total?

As I approach round three, I was already having to pause to catch my breath between each set of wall balls and pull-ups.  At round five, I started to feel a little nauseous.   By the end of round six, dizziness also started to set in and I felt that I was having to use all of my concentration to just hang on to the rings while doing my pull-ups and not fall backward onto the floor.  All I remember about round seven is thinking, "only 7 more, only 6 more, only 5 more,...".  Finally, in 23 minutes and 59 seconds, I was done.  And I wasn't the last one to finish!

Even though I didn't feel like going and certainly did not feel like doing wall balls with the 16 lb medicine ball, I am thankful that I made it through.  It helped me mentally because now I know I can handle more weight and also that I can handle challenges even when I am not feeling well.  Emotionally, it was worth it too as I was talking about going to CrossFit late this afternoon with my eight year old and he made the comment that my arms looked smaller.  With only a 20 lb weight loss so far and not really seeing a difference in myself when I look in the mirror each day, his comment really boosted my morale.  Three more classes until my trip down south.  I am hoping that I will be at 100% for all of them so I can really challenge myself as a final boost before I go.

2 Corinthians 13:9 (The Message) - We don't just put up with our limitations; we celebrate them, and then go on to celebrate every strength, every triumph of the truth in you. We pray hard that it will all come together in your lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment