Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Biscuits are Burning - 66 days left

My biscuits are burning!!!  If you are familiar with Bugs Bunny, you will know about Yosemite Sam and his line, "My biscuits are burning!".  Granted, Yosemite Sam's biscuits were burning because he had just landed on a fire and burnt them.  Yet today, I experienced the same feeling all day thanks to a wonderful little thing I do called crossfit.

I know I have used this phrase at least two other times before.  However, today truly was THE HARDEST WORKOUT EVER!!!!!  I would tell you exactly what the workout entailed, but I was so very traumatized by it, I honestly cannot remember all that I did.  All I can tell you is that it was a mix between a traditional crossfit workout and kick boxing.  There was a lot of punching and kicking the punching bag along with box jumps, bar presses and ball cleans.  The total workout lasted for over an hour and I still feel it now at 7:45 this evening.

Still past all of the sweat and sore muscles, I absolutely love the strength that I am experiencing outside of crossfit.  The church we attend has three Sunday morning services one of which occurs on Saturday night.  For many years, that has been the time we go.  This evening my husband and I were assigned to work the information counter.  This means we have to arrive about 20 minutes before our children's classes are open.  It also means that I am the one dropping off all four of the children since my husband and I are also leaders for the night's service.

As I dropped off my three year old this evening, she decided in her own little three year old way that she would just rather not go to her class.  She grabbed hold of the stroller with the grip of death and screamed bloody murder when she realized it was her turn to enter the classroom.  As most mom's know, if you just drop your child off and walk away, they will be over it in about two minutes.  The scene is only a tool the child uses to get his/her way.  Yes, they know this when they are as young as three, in fact, much younger.  As my daughter began to cry this evening, I very kindly reminded her that it was time for her to go to class and that was what was going to happen now with still no relenting on her end.  So I loosened her grip from the stroller, picked her up and carried her into the class handing her off to the teacher.  God bless the teacher!!  A minute later after dropping off my five year old across the hall, my daughter had stopped her crying and moved on.

Guess what?  I was able to move on too.  It was so much easier than in times past.  No deep breathing.  No strained body parts from having to lift her.  Nothing.  Physically it was as the situation had never even happened.  Even after standing an additional 20 minutes at the information counter and then standing through all of the praise and worship in the service, I didn't feel completely spent.  What a great feeling!!!  My new found strength is shining through.

I realize this entire description of my day might sound rather far fetched and exaggerated to some.  However, let me assure you that it is not.  Having to lift children, walk all over the church to get to their assigned classrooms, and then standing for more than 10 minutes at a time has really bothered me physically in the past.  In fact, it has worn me out to the point I can't even enjoy going because I dread so much all of the physical exertion it requires of me.  Tonight was a great personal battle won for me.  I know there are MANY more like this to come!!!

Victory is won not in miles but in inches.  Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more. - Louis L'Amour

No comments:

Post a Comment