Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quitters Never Win - 91 days left

Truly not my greatest moment today at crossfit, but I made it!  Part of our "warm-up" is to "run" around the building that crossfit is located in which is 400 meters.  At the end of my lap today, the instructor met me at the door and said, "Oh, I was wondering where you went because you were gone for so long."  Wonderful!!  Then I was supposed to do an exercise like you see during the Olympic Games.  The MEN'S Olympic Games to be exact.  I was supposed to lift myself up and down 10 times between two rings that you grip with your hands.  I knew that wasn't going to happen and asked for the alternative.  That was to push myself up between two elevated boxes.  I attempted this, but felt the boxes were going to go flying in both directions.  I then moved to a chair to sit in and then lower myself up and down.  That didn't work for me either and I landed on the floor after my back hit the seat.  Owwa!!  (That is "ow" in southern.)  And finally, for my encore I was suppose to grab each end of a rope and swing it up and down, so it looks like I am making waves.  I don't know what this is called, but I saw it last season on the Biggest Loser.  I only had to do this for 25 seconds.  By the time 20 seconds had hit, I know that I looked like a complete maniac.  I think my entire body was moving and shaking to keep the rope in motion.

However, even though I was missing in action at the beginning of the workout and fell on the floor and looked like something was very wrong with me as my body was gyrating all around moving that rope, I made it!  I didn't give up or walk out because I was embarrassed about moving so slow or looking silly.  In fact, if the truth be told, I was failing pretty miserably.  Yet, I didn't quit.

This has not always been the story of Karen.  I would like to say that I have NEVER quit anything due to failure.  Yet that would be untrue.  When I was in high school, I quit the soccer team before the tryouts were even over because I couldn't run like the other girls could.  In college, I failed the LAST class I need to graduate three times and told my parents I was done.  I did overcome my temporary insanity with this one, but it took two quarters before I finally went back and finished.  After I took my first job after college, I found that I was not a good loan officer at the bank, so I quit and found something else that was easier for me to do.  And after starting countless diet and exercise routines over the years, I have quit every single one of them loosing some weight, but gaining back much more.

Why is this time different for me?  I believe because I am approaching it with a completely different mindset than in times past.  This time I am doing it ALL for me.  I'm not doing it because I want people to accept me better or for some boy to like me or to have the opportunity to be a high school cheerleader.  I am doing it for me.  I want to look nice in my clothes for me.  I want to play better with my children so I will have those memories with them.  I want to see them graduate from high school and college.  And one day a really, really, really long time from now I want to know my grandchildren.  The road I was on does not lead me to these places.  However, the new road I am on will help me to achieve all of this.  On this new road there may be bumps and there may be failure, but there is no quitting.  And as I have mentioned in the past, like my pastor says, "If you don't quit, you win!!"

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career.  I've lost almost 300 games.  Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed.  I've failed over and over and over again in my life.  And that is why I succeed.  - Michael Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment