Thursday, June 9, 2011

Go, Karen! Go! - 96 days left

After declaring that I was free from being a Gym Phobic yesterday, I returned to the Crossfit today for another workout.  Thankfully, I really had put my phobia behind me, otherwise I would have walked out of the building as fast as I walked in today.  All other fellow crossfitters today were men on their lunch break, I presume, plus a young girl in her 20's that weighed about 50 lbs more than my three year old daughter.

During the "warm up", she passed me running around the building at the speed I used to run to first base when playing softball and said, "Come on.  This is just the warm up."  Fortunately for me (so I would not have been arrested for assault), I was not fast enough to catch her or I would have yanked her ponytail.  I was also already breathing pretty hard too, so I wasn't able to tell her that if she wanted to have a taste of being me she needed to go and pick up a couple hundred pounds of weight and then do her jog.  I do think that she meant well and was trying to be encouraging.  However, while I am no longer afraid of being there, I am not at the place of joking about my lack of athleticism either.  Most likely, I just need to lighten up.

Later on, one of the trainers was also trying to raise my confidence said, "Go, Karen. Go!"  All I could think was "Run, Forest! Run!", which was a little funny and inspiring at the same time.  After all, when Forest Gump did run he lost his leg braces, scored a touchdown for the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!!) and won a medal for saving Lieutenant Dan in Vietnam.  When I am running, I am loosing weight, scoring more fun time with my family and winning in my struggle to be healthy.

Overall, I am really enjoying being there.  Yet there are many things that I cannot do that I used to be able to do like jumping rope for example.  That was part of our warm up today too.  So instead, I had to do an alternative exercise of what I like to call "very out of shape person's jumping jack".  This is where you move your hands like you are doing a jumping jack and step from side to side.  Each time I have been at a place of having to do this, whether at the crossfit place or at home with a workout video, I will admit it has been discouraging.  Especially since, I used to be a fit person and running and jumping and doing jumping jacks was no problem.

Yet when I am at that place, I remind myself that one day I will be able to do it all again and exercises like the "very out of shape person jumping jack" with be a thing of the past.  Other things like "fat jeans" and plus size clothing will also be a thing of the past too.  I only have to struggle for a little while before I am physically great again!!


Philippians 3:14 The Message 


Focused on the Goal
 12-14 I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment