Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Last Chance Workout - 84 days left

Today while I was on my way to crossfit, I was mentally preparing myself for what they refer to on the Biggest Loser as "The Last Chance Workout".  The workout before the weigh in where you work extra hard to burn as many calories as possible.  Tomorrow is my "weigh day", so this was it before the scale flashes the numbers for this week.  Not wanting a repeat of last week, I have tried to treat every workout like my "Last Chance Workout".  However, this one really was the last one of the week, so I prepared myself to go in and do better than ever.

I finished my warm up swimmingly.  It was definitely my best so far.  Then we went over today's circuit which was made up of three different exercises consisting of ten reps each, four times through for time.  The first exercise was ten cartwheels.  Since I am not even able to do jumping jacks at this point and the cheerleader within left me about 20 years ago, that was not going to happen.  Next on the docket, ten handstand push ups.  All I have to say about that is, if you have read this blog even one time before today, you should already know that was not going to happen either.  And finally to finish it out, ten jumping pull ups.  Well, I have already been modifying that one everyday it has been on the list since I started, so I couldn't do that exercise fully either.

I was not happy.  Everyday, I have been able to do at least one of the exercises to it's fullest.  And today, "Last Chance Workout" day, I couldn't do one.  So after everyone else got started, we then went over all of  my modifications, two of which consisted of using a bar to lift.  I went and grabbed the 45 lb bar.  After all, it was the bar I used last Friday to do a very similar exercise.  It felt like it weighed 200 lbs.  I am not sure if it was because I was discouraged and was having a mental issue at the moment or what happened, but I had to switch to the 35 lb bar.  Then I found out that I was doing one of the two exercises wrong.  When I did it the proper way, the 35 lb bar made me feel like I was going to fall backwards.  So then, I was down to the 25 lb bar.  She-ra: Princess of Power had definitely left the building.  My confidence to get in a good, hard workout had left with her.

I did my best with the 25 lb bar and finished in eight minutes forty seven seconds, a full ten minutes before the next person finished showing the difference in difficulty from my workout to the rest of the class.  I finished up with the warm up again adding thirty crutches and forty squats.  My muscles knew they had been workout'd and so did I, but definitely not the greatest workout ever I was hoping for.

I do know there was success in what I did, but not the goal I was reaching for today.  Tomorrow is "weigh day".  The most telling day of the week.  I am hoping what it will say is that I am back on track and pressing through the week of zero.  I am also hoping that I will be a little more pleasant tomorrow when I step off that scale than I was last week.  Yet whatever happens, I do know that I have put my best foot forward this week to succeed.  And doing my best is all that is required.

1 Corinthians 9:26 (Amplified Bible) Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment