Monday, August 22, 2011

Temporary Discomfort - 21 days left

If you remember the original Karate Kid movie that was made in 1984, you will most likely recall the main characters, Daniel and Mr. Miyagi, entering the "mean boys" karate class and their instructor screaming, "Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?" and the class screaming back, "No Sensei!".  Then the instructor begins to yell again, "Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?" and the class again screams back again, "No Sensei!".  Finally, the instructor yells, "Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?" and the class gives one last, "No Sensei!" before the instructor ask the REALLY mean boy, who has become rather distracted by Daniel and Mr. Miyagi's presence, "What is your problem Mr. Lawrence?".

Fortunately, for me, when I attend my CrossFit weekly, I don't have a mean instructor yelling at me or asking me what my problem is.  And as the "mean boys" attested to that "fear does not exist in their dojo", I would have to say that I am not afraid when I am at the gym.  I am also quite confident in saying that "defeat does not exist" at my gym either.  However, when it comes to the pain aspect of things, that is something that is very really for me and does exist on a daily basis when I go to my CrossFit workout.

Now as I say this, I am sure some of you are becoming rather alarmed that I am off hurting myself and not being responsible when I workout thus experiencing pain.  However, I can say that 99% of the time I have gone to CrossFit, I have been very responsible and stay within my limits .  Yet even though I am responsible to my body and what I feel in most cases, my muscles are sore on most days.

As I sit in my living room and type to you this evening, my arms and hands are hurting from the kickboxing class I just completed about 90 minutes ago.  Tonight when I road home in our minivan from class, I was thankful that my husband was driving due to the pain I felt in my side and abs as I had worked so very hard to beat that 2 minute marker going 400 meters on the rowing machine and missed it by 1 second both times.  And during class as I kicked my leg over and over again, I could hear my mind screaming, "Stop!  Stop!  Stop!" as I battled to complete each round and not give up.

However, when I feel the pain during or after class, I also have the opportunity to think on the photo that I saw of myself today from about a year ago and observe how much smaller my arms and waist now look.  Or the noticeable difference in the height of my kicks that one of my instructors pointed out this evening.  And even though I might be a little sore from day to day, I no longer dread simple task that felt like they required so much energy just a short time ago liking bending down and picking things up off the floor.

Perhaps you have heard it said, "Pain is temporary, but pride is forever".  While I am not sure I will necessarily be happy "forever" about some of things I have mentioned, I do know that my pain will not last forever.  My muscles will become stronger and each week they will be able to handle what I put them through better and better.  And since my pain is something that I realize I only have to deal with on the short term, I believe I can handle it for the results I am seeing that will be long term.


2 Corinthians 4:17 (New International Version) - For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.


WOD (Workout of the Day)

  • Kickboxing

No comments:

Post a Comment