Monday, August 15, 2011

The Silver Lining - 28 days left

As you may recall, I mentioned in my blog on Saturday that I had attended CrossFit last Thursday morning for the first time in 12 days.  However, instead of approaching the workout like I had been off for 12 days, I dug in like I had just been there the day before.  Consequently, I spent Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday hobbling around like a 95 year old grandmother that refuses to use a walker to get around.  I also skipped my CrossFit workout this morning too due to my "condition".  Yet by this afternoon I was getting around more like a 75 year old grandmother who utilizes her walker, so I bit the bullet and went to kickboxing tonight.

I am not sure what song I will be singing tomorrow.  However, tonight I feel so very refreshed.  Getting my body in motion and the oxygen flowing made me feel revitalized.  I was mindful of Thursday's incident as I kicked and punched my way through the evening.  And because of that, I believe I got in a great workout without forcing myself into a state of snail pace to make it through my day.

To be honest as I have reflected back to last Thursday, I believe the delusions of grandeur encompassed my thinking as I attended CrossFit.  After all, I had my vacation, ate Chick-fil-A, exercised only two times on my trip and still managed to lose 2 pounds on the scale last week.  Many of you will recall that I have exercised eight times in a week and kept to a strict diet and haven't seen those kind of results some weeks.

And what I have now become keenly aware of from this incident is that I am no longer 20 years old, my body has been through four pregnancies and frankly, "the old grey hen ain't what she used to be".  Unlike Cher's song If I Could Turn Back Time speaking of getting her boyfriend back, my "If I Could Turn Back Time" song would actually refer to something of value like getting my youth back.  As you might have guessed, I don't enjoy the thought or the feeling of aging and would find it magnificent if you really could save Time in a Bottle.

So there it is.  My rant about getting older.  However, there is also the silver lining. You didn't think that I could leave you on this terrible note about getting older did you?  Of course not!  So here it is - The Silver Lining.  At least now, with my great will and determination to get healthy, I will actually have the opportunity to get older.


Habakkuk 3:17-19 (The Message)

Though the cherry trees don't blossom 
   and the strawberries don't ripen,
Though the apples are worm-eaten
   and the wheat fields stunted,
Though the sheep pens are sheepless
   and the cattle barns empty,
I'm singing joyful praise to God.
   I'm turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God.
Counting on God's Rule to prevail,
   I take heart and gain strength.
I run like a deer.
   I feel like I'm king of the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment