Friday, August 26, 2011

Moon River - 17 days left

For the last several days, my children have been talking about musical instruments and in the process learned that I used to play the clarinet.  So today, for the first time since I was in college, I pulled out my beautiful, black, Selmer clarinet and played it.  As I heard myself play the notes, it wasn't quite as tragic as I had anticipated.  However, it wasn't a beautiful flowing tune like "Moon River" either.

In high school and in college, I had not been the best clarinet player in the bunch.  Yet, I was talented enough to get a small band scholarship during college.  And as I blew into my clarinet for the first time in years today, I actually surprised myself that I was able to still play every note with the exception of about four.  However, it was a little "pitchy" as Randy from American Idol would say (in my case meaning "flat") and if someone outside of my house heard me playing, I am sure their conclusion would have been "beginning band student".

Until about three months ago, my body had been similar to my clarinet.  It had sat still, instead of being used on a regular basis.  Surprisingly, my body could still move in most every direction with the exception of a few things like running and jumping.  However, when I did decide to move a little faster than my usual pace, like the clarinet not being completely on pitch, my body would pop and crack with most every step and sometimes even ache afterward.

Today, I am only weighing in at 24 pounds less than I was three months ago.  Yet when I get up and move, there is no more popping and cracking in my joints, even when I go up and down the stairs.  And while there are some sore muscles every once in while, my overall feeling is so much better.  What will my experience be like when I am weighing 50 pounds less or even 100 pounds less?

I must admit that when I began my new road to better health, while I was determined to lose all the weight I needed to become a healthy person, I honestly did not know how I would ever accomplish such a thing with so much weight to lose.  Now I know I can do it.  With only 24 lbs gone, I already consider myself a new person.

Apparently, I look like a new person too.  I ran into one of my very dear friends whom I have not seen since April today and her first words were, "You are half the size you were when I last saw you!".  Realistically, I know that I am not half the size I was four months ago.  However, do you know how very good that made me feel?  And pretty soon with some more hard work, like that most lovely tune "Moon River" could sound with some practice on my clarinet, I will be beautiful both inside and out.


Proverbs 31:30 (New International Version) - Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.


WOD (Workout of the Day)
None - Responsibilities of being a mom got in the way

No comments:

Post a Comment