Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Little Too Late - 105 days left

Wrong side out.  That was how I wore my shirt to my son's school this morning.  It was like that when I took the little one's to the park and even chatted with other mothers who were there with their children.  And for the grand finale, it remained like that when I went shopping at Walmart.  There I even needed assistance at the self check out, so the cashier assisting those lanes was sure to get a good view.  When did I learn of my fashion faux pas?  After I was completely done with all my errands and back at my comfy home about 2:00 this afternoon.  Too late to make a change and look better to some extent while being in the midst of my responsibilities.

In many ways, as I have set forth my goals this time to lose weight and make a change for the better, I have felt that my life has somewhat been a reflection of the shirt being worn wrong side out and not knowing it until I was halfway through my day.  Yes.  I have known that I was overweight for the better part of my life.  However, I am 38 years old now, bordering on those midlife crisis years.  Have I been this way for so very long that setting a goal to lose this much weight is just a moot point?  Should I just focus on eating a little more healthier and if the weight happens to go, then just accept it as an added bonus?  If beauty really is only skin deep, then does this grandiose aspiration matter?  Is all of this just a little too late?

Even though these thoughts hound me at times, I believe the answer is that it is never too late.  And it is never too late no matter how many times I may have failed before.  Sometimes when I am afraid of failing again or think I might be too old to achieve my goals, it helps me to think of people who have failed, overcome and achieved greatness.  My friend, Mike, emailed me this not too long before he passed away last year.  I wanted to share it tonight as a reminder to myself that is never too late too set goals and succeed.

Famous Failures

  • Dismissed from drama school with a note that read, "She's wasting her time.  She's too shy to put her best foot forward."  - Lucille Ball
  • Turned down by the Decca Recording Company who said, "We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out." - The Beatles
  • A failed soldier, farmer and real estate agent.  At 38 years old he went to work for his father as a handyman. - Ulysses S. Grant
  • Cut from the high school basketball team, he went home, locked himself in a room and cried. - Michael Jordan
  • A teacher told him that he was too stupid to learn anything and he should go into a field where he might succeed by virtue of his pleasant personality. - Thomas Edison
  • Fired from a newspaper because he lacked imagination and had no original ideas. - Walt Disney
  • His fiance died.  He failed in business twice.  He had a nervous breakdown and was defeated in eight elections. - Abraham Lincoln

It is never too late to make a change and win!  You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win. - Zig Ziglar  I have a plan.  I am prepared to win.  And most assuredly, I expect to win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment