Friday, January 6, 2012

Picture Perfect

Well, I must admit that this day is yet another "not part of my plan" days this week.  After getting up with my 18 month old several times last night, when the alarm went off at 5:10 this morning my body said, "there is no way we are going to a 6 a.m. workout this morning".  I put up little fight as I recognized how tired I was and also thinking on how sick my husband has been.  I felt that sleep might be just what I needed to avoid becoming sick myself.  So I guess this will add up to another round on the elliptical instead of actually making it to CrossFit as I have planned.  However, unlike the other days this week where I have failed at being able to keep my plan together, today I was fine with the alternative because I am working to be better even though it isn't the perfect scenario.

As I mentioned to one of my friend's last night who commented on my blog, being absolutely perfect with every change I have tried to make has been an all or nothing deal in the past.  I have either done everything exactly to the letter or thrown everything out the window when failure came just waiting for a new day to start and try again.  But that mentality has always brought discouragement in the past, which eventually led to giving up completely. 

Therefore, this time I have decided to take on a new approach.  If I have a glitch during the day, I put it behind me and move forward.  If I pick up a piece of candy and toss it in my mouth without realizing it because I have had that as a habit for so very long, I don't let it ruin my day.  If I cannot make it to CrossFit and have to settle for the elliptical instead, that is OK.  I am still getting in a workout even if it isn't an "extreme" workout with weights and rowing machines.

Why the change?  Because I know the all or nothing, I have to be 100%, perfect approach in the past has failed over and over.  Benjamin Franklin said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".  And isn't that true?  Why should I expect to succeed when I am doing the thing that has failed me over and over.

Last week, Don Colbert, MD posted to his facebook page a very interesting fact.  He said that over the period of a year the body will rejuvinate 95% of its cells.  When I read that, I thought about how that means if I eat right and exercise over the next year, I will practically be a new person from whom I am today.  I will literally have the opportunity to take off the old and put on the new!  How exciting!!  I don't have to wait years or decades, just one year of being consistent and doing the right thing for my body each day.  And that will be the best 40th birthday present I can give to myself!

So today as I get on my elliptical and make good food choices, I think about me in a year and how much better I will feel and live.  Sure, that it isn't the exact "plan" that I made for the week.  And, yes, I should have plans and do my best to stick with them.  However, when I come upon speed bumps or hit that pot hole at 65 miles an hour, I keep going knowing that I am changing even if how I am going about it at the moment isn't picture perfect.

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version) - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment