Thursday, January 5, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

When Gene Autry cowrote "Back in the Saddle Again" with Ray Whitley in 1939, I am quite confident they never envisioned their song being used as a title for a blog because after all, there were no blogs in the 1930's.  However, since Mr. Autry was a man who worked hard to succeed, I am thinking that he might forgive me as I work to succeed at my goals.

On the outside today, most everything in my life was similar to yesterday.  Just keeping the status quo.  Husband still hasn't bounced back 100%.  CrossFit had to be put on hold one more day.  And while I am down to one can of Mountain Dew per day, they still have not been eliminated completely from my intake. 

Like I said, the status quo.  Quite possibly the two most defeating words in the English dictionary.  The good news is that I am no worse off than I was yesterday - well maybe.  I did mention that I am still drinking the Mountain Dew with 48 grams of sugar per can right?  The bad news is that you aren't any better off either.  Who was it that said, "If you aren't moving forward, you're moving backwards."?

However, where the status quo changed for me today and how I can dub this "Back in the Saddle Again" day is because I made the choice to change my mindset.  I started thinking on my goals and how I can and will acheive them.  I looked down at my ring finger today (that currently holds another ring besides my wedding ring) and thought, "Soon. Very soon, my pretty diamond will back on you!".  I pictured myself riding the SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge at the Mall of America with my son.  I visualized pulling out my juicer and mixing up a fruit and vegetable concoction that I would love.

Yes, I have thoughts like all of these before.  Yet with the constant defeat of "my plan" daily this week as well as my 10 lb weight gain accompanied with years and years of being beat at the weight loss and healthy living game, many days it has been hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Am I declaring the end of all unhealthy thoughts that seem to bombard me daily?  No.  I know that that the thoughts will come.  It's how I combat the thoughts.  As Edmond Dantes said in one of my favorite movies, The Count of Monte Cristo, "Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine!".

So I am back up on my horse, back in the saddle again.   Tomorrow's docket - 6 a.m. CrossFit.  And since my body has had a break since Monday's CrossFit workout, other than some eliptical time at home, I am quite confident I will shatter it!
Psalm 91
The Message (MSG)

   You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
   Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
      I trust in you and I'm safe!"
   That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
      shields you from deadly hazards.
   His huge outstretched arms protect you—
      under them you're perfectly safe;
      his arms fend off all harm.
   Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
      not flying arrows in the day,
   Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
      not disaster that erupts at high noon.
   Even though others succumb all around,
      drop like flies right and left,
      no harm will even graze you.
   You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
      watch the wicked turn into corpses.
   Yes, because God's your refuge,
      the High God your very own home,
   Evil can't get close to you,
      harm can't get through the door.
   He ordered his angels
      to guard you wherever you go.
   If you stumble, they'll catch you;
      their job is to keep you from falling.
   You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
      and kick young lions and serpents from the path.

 "If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
      "I'll get you out of any trouble.
   I'll give you the best of care
      if you'll only get to know and trust me.
   Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
      I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
   I'll give you a long life,
      give you a long drink of salvation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment