Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Job that Gets Me to My Dream

A few years ago, I was visting my friend, Glenn, in Nashville, TN.  We went to eat dinner at a local restaurant.  The server was about 25 years old and after she took our order my friend, Glenn, asked her what she did.  I thought the questions was rather odd because, hello, she just took our order.  She is a server that is what she does.  However, her answer was, "I write music.  However, this is the job I have until that takes off."  When she walked away, Glenn informed me that was how most everyone was in Nashville.  They were there, like him, to follow their dreams and be in the music industry, but right now they were doing the job that gets to the dream.

I actually haven't thought about this Nashville phenomenon until about a week or so ago.  And then I realized how I have become like that server now that I have changed my mindset toward my health and weight loss.  Right now I am the girl who wanted to be on the The Biggest Loser, failed and is now taking a different road to health.  However, on the inside, I am the inshape, fit and healthy gal worthy to pose for Fitness Magazine (this is, if Fitness Magazine takes models under 5'4").  Today I am doing the job that gets me to my dream.

My friend, Glenn, still lives in Nashville.  When we had that dinner about 14 years ago, he was working at Dillard's Department Store in Nashville.  What did he do before that?  He worked at Belk Department Store in Statesboro, GA.  Not a huge step up.  However, what does Glenn do now?  Glenn works for BMI in Nashville.  And what do they do?  The most accurate version according to Wikipedia is:
Glenn works in the music industry just as he set out to do.  He changed his direction and did the job that got him to his dream.

Fortunately, I don't have to move to another state to help me to achieve my dream.  All I have to do is make healthy eating choices and get up off myself daily to make it to CrossFit.  Will I end up on the cover of Fitness Magazine?  Most likely, not.  However, I am fine with that.  I just want to be cover worthy and healthy.  And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this girl can do that as I work each day to get me to my dream.

Isaiah 40:31 (New International Version) -  but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment