Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Things I have learned - 6 days left

Well folks, I have anticipated it, talked about it, counted the days down to it, and have finally arrived at the last week of my "Run to Win" challenge.  Tonight, with six days remaining, I thought I would take the opportunity to look back and name the top six things I have learned over the past 112 days of my journey.  While they are not profound, they are note worthy of a change in coarse that will not end in the next week, but last for a lifetime.

  1. Through "Ponytail Girl", I learned that first impressions are not always completely accurate.  In fact, in this case, mine was completely wrong.  On the first day we met, her intention was not to ridicule me for running slowly, but to cheer me on to the finish line.  However, since my thought pattern was as such to think that most people were out to tell me how awful I was for letting myself go for so long, I was blinded to see the place she was coming from.
  2. With each passing week that I weighed, I learned the amount of pounds gone were only secondary to the amount of physical strength I had gained and how much better I felt overall.  As I mentioned before, even though the scale still reflects the weight of a big girl, I know I have unleashed the skinny girl within.
  3. If someone would have asked me before I started working out in May if I was a happy person, my answer would have been "yes".  Yet now, I realize that was only a small amount of how much better my emotional well being could be.  Elle Woods was right when she said, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy."
  4. I have overcome my fear of trying new things.  As Joyce Meyer put it, I have learned to "do it afraid".  There are still many things, when it comes to CrossFit and many other areas of life, that I am still unable to accomplish.  However, instead of worrying about what others will think, I try it anyway.  Many times I have even surprised myself with all I can do.
  5. I knew when I started my new way of life to get healthy that it would bring value to my family's well being.  What I didn't know is how much working on my health has been important to my children.  They are excited for me when I lose weight.  They can tell I look different.  They understand that this is an important thing their mommy is doing.  Since I have made myself a priority, they can see the great change it has brought to our family.
  6. Three months ago when I set my goal to lose 100 pounds in 118 days, I knew that it would be hard, but I knew I could do it.  As it has turned out, I will end up only achieving about 1/3 of my goal.  So without a doubt, the biggest and hardest lesson on my journey has been that it is OK that I won't make my goal.  I have learned that not achieving 100 pounds lost at this time is not a failure, but with persistence I will always win.  I am not disappointed, but rather content with all that I have accomplished so far.

Philippians 4:11 (New American Standard) - 

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

WOD (Workout of the Day)
Seven Rounds for Time

  • 3 shoulder press - 25 pound dumb bells
  • 6 pistols
  • 9 sit-ups with 10 lb plate

No comments:

Post a Comment